If you have been looking for some tasty high-protein recipe, this one’s just for you. It’s high in proteins as well as a low fat recipe. Apart from this, it’s also quite quick and easy to prepare. In short, it’s the best protein packed snack to have at any time of the day. Here’s how to prepare the diet salad.
Red kidney beans – ¼ cup
Green grams – ¼ cup
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tomato – 1 medium sized
Fresh coriander – ½ cup
Mint – ¼ cup
Green chillies – 2
Lemon juice – 3 tbsps
1) First pick and wash red kidney beans properly
2) Soak it overnight in plenty of water. Wash and soak the green grams for nearly two hours
3) Boil the dry beans in salted water until soft. Once cooked, drain off the excess water and let it cool
4) Now, peel and cut the onion into one-fourth inch sized pieces. Clean, wash, drain and chop green tomato, coriander and mint. Similarly, wash and chop green chillies finely.
6) Now, dilute some lemon juice with equal amount of water. Then stir in some chopped green coriander, mint and green chillies . Shake it well and refrigerate the dressing for about an hour.
7) Make sure you properly mix the cooked beans with the chopped onion and tomato. Once done, to it add the dressing. Then toss the salad to evenly mix the dressing.
Soaking, draining and then cooking of pulses is important to destroy the anti-nutritional factors like tripsin-inhibitor, etc, which reduces protein digestibility.
Soaking and heating the legumes help destroy the tripsin-inhibitor and improve protein quality. In fact, kidney beans are an excellent source of molybdenum, which protects you against cancer and prevents anemia as it’s necessary for iron metabolism.
Most importantly kidney beans help prevent sexual impotence in men and also helps prevent tooth decay. In short, kidney beans are rich in protein, carbohydrate and fibre, and low in fat. It’s also an important source of vitamin B.
Do not hesitate to throw away the water in which you soak the pulses, as it is going to be more harmful than beneficial.