Desserts made with fresh fruit are healthy and an absolute treat to the taste buds as well. Such recipes with fruits as a main ingredient are nutritious as they are a rich source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and require minimal artificial sweetening.
Saffron poached pears
This fresh and exotic recipe is easy to make, nutritious and an absolute delicacy.
4 pears peeled
1 liter water
150 grams sugar
5 grams saffron
For the filling:
100 grams hung yogurt
1 teaspoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon raisins
10 coriander leaves shredded
For the brandy snap
50 grams icing sugar
50 grams liquid glucose
50 grams low fat butter
50 grams plain flour
Method and preparation:
1. Place the sugar water and saffron in a pan and bring to boil. Add the pears and poach in the syrup for 20 minutes.
2. Take the pan off the heat and allow the pears to cool in the syrup. Take off the stone of the pears cutting away carefully from the bottom to make a cavity hollow cavity in the center.
3. Prepare the yogurt and the raisins by mixing all the ingredients together. Stuff the hollow cavity of the pears with the yogurt mixture and refrigerate.
4. In a pan, add the flour, butter and the liquid glucose and beat the mixture. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet using a spatula.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Once baked leave to cool and harden, and break into random sized pieces to garnish the dish.
To serve, place the pears on a plate drizzle some syrup over them and garnish with the brandy snap. This dessert can also be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This cooling and refreshing dessert is perfect for summers and is loaded with vitamin B, Vitamin A and antioxidants.
200 grams watermelon, cubed
10 fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons honey
Toasted Sesame seeds
Juice of ½ a lime
Method and preparation
1. Mix the watermelon cubes, lime juice and mint leaves in a bowl and refrigerate.
2. Once the watermelon is chilled, drain and discard the liquid.
To serve, place the cubes on a serving tray and drizzle honey over each cube and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately. This is a low calorie dessert and ideal for diabetics and those whoa are watching their weight.