Antioxidants have the power to destroy cell-damaging free radicals. They help in preventing cancer, heart diseases and slow down the process of ageing. While most of us believe that only certain fruits have high antioxidant content, studies conducted over a period of time reveal that this disease buster is also found in several regular foods. Check out for these foods that are high in antioxidants. Quiet surprising, isn’t it?
1. Popcorn: All this while we’ve been considering popcorn as a mere company at the theatres. We all love popcorn but a few of us are aware of its health benefits. According to several studies popcorn is rich in polyphenol. It is an antioxidant which lowers the risk of heart disease and cancer. Polyphenols helps in destroying chemicals that cause damage to our tissues. So the next time you pop in popcorn remember that you’re eating a healthy snack.
2. Yogurt: Yogurt should always be an important item in your grocery list. Yogurt contains riboflavin which promotes antioxidant activities. Yogurt is also a rich in calcium and proteins. Besides improving digestion, yogurt also assists in metabolizing food thereby enabling healthy weight loss.
3. Oats: If you aspire for a healthy weight loss and prevention from diseases, then oats should be an essential part of your diet—preferably breakfast. Oats is rich in antioxidants and other minerals that have health benefits. It increases your metabolism rate, lowers cholesterol and stabilizes blood sugar levels. Quick and easy to make, oats is a healthy way to load on the antioxidants.
4. Natural sweeteners: These are the best alternatives to sugar in order to reduce the calorie intake. Most of us prefer to avoid sugar and opt for artificial sweeteners. However natural sweeteners are the best way to avoid high calorie intake and are also rich in antioxidants. Honey, brown sugar and maple syrup have high antioxidant content. Studies reveal that the darker types of honey have higher content of antioxidants.
5. Dark chocolate: Surprised? Yes it’s true. Dark chocolate is high in its antioxidant content. Dark chocolates contain the antioxidant called flavonoids which help in lowering high blood pressure. Comprising of natural ingredients, dark chocolate is beneficial for your heart.