The very popular Tres Leches Cake is also referred to as Pastel de Tres Leches. Leche is Spanish for milk and this cake is made of three milks (heavy cream, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk) in its soaking sauce. The richness of ingredients in the cake easily makes it one of the delectable dessert recipes. Since the cake soaks in creamy components, it is quite moist and heavy unlike a traditional cake. Its consistency can be compared to that of custard.
Difficulty Level: Moderately Difficult
Preparation Time: One Hour
Cooking Time: One Hour
Total Time Taken: Two Hours
Ingredients For The Cake
Granulated sugar – two cups
Baking powder – two teaspoons
Eggs – six large ones separated
All purpose flour – two cups
Whole milk – half cup
Vanilla extract – one teaspoon
Ingredients For Cream Topping
Heavy cream – one cup
Sweetened condensed milk – one 14 ounce can
Evaporated milk – one 14 ounce can
Ingredients For The Icing
Ripe papaya – one deseeded, peeled and thinly sliced
Ripe mango – one deseeded and thinly sliced
Whites of three large eggs
Water – three tablespoons
Granulated sugar – three quarter cup
(1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Take a 9 by 13 inch baking dish and lightly grease it. Sprinkle flour on the greased baking dish.
(2) Take a mixer. Introduce egg whites and whisk until soft peaks are created. This can be done carefully at low speed. While the mixer is running, throw in sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Next, combine egg yolks one by one and keep beating well at the end of every yolk addition.
(3) Sift baking powder and all purpose flour together. Add the flour mixture to the beaten eggs along with milk by alternating both the liquids. Try doing this as quickly as possible so that the cake batter does not lack in volume.
(4) Introduce vanilla and bake for at least twenty five minutes.
(5) For preparing the cream topping; stir in heavy cream, condensed milk and evaporated milk in a blender and blend on high.
(6) Take the baked cake from your oven and as the cake is warm; transfer contents of the blended milk mixture on to it. Allow the cake to cool down completely. Cover the cake and chill in a refrigerator for at least four hours or if possible, overnight.
(7) For the icing; take a saucepan. Introduce sugar and water and allow it to boil. Minimize the heat and allow sugar to dissolve completely. Cook this sugar syrup until it reaches a stage where you can roll its droplets into a ball. Take sugar syrup off the heat.
(8) Take a medium sized bowl and whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks. Make sure you add the hot syrup while beating egg whites. At the end of the process; you will notice that you have a glossy icing and this is evident when the mix cools down.
(9) Assemble cake immediately after taking it out from the refrigerator. Use a spatula to evenly spread icing on top of the cake. Take chopped fruits and place on top and serve immediately for a very juicy and sumptuous experience.
Photo Credit : Hoteloasis-saranda.com/lieuxtouristique/index.html