Every ingredient on this earth has flavours which blend with each other. That’s the basic of things in fusion cooking. The cooking methods of different cuisines of origins could be amalgamated with different spicing but a very clear thought has to go behind the dish.
The dish should have a personality of its own. Throughout history cultures have adapted to the arrival of new ingredients combining them with the traditional to arrive at something new.
Fusion, like a good marriage, is not just the coming together of two ingredients but the coming together of culinary traditions and families of flavours. Of course, the right drink complementing the food can add to the whole experience. Here’s a quick and light chicken recipe that’s just perfect for an afternoon meal or for those on a diet.
Ingredients (For the chicken)
320 gm chicken breast
20 gm ginger garlic paste
20 gm lemon juice
5 gm salt
10 gm kaffir lime leaf
20 gm coriander leaves
20 gm mint leaves
10 gm green chillies
50 ml yogurt
5 gm cumin
1. Clean and prepare the chicken breast, by cutting it into 45-50 gm thin escallops. Marinate the chicken in ginger garlic paste, salt and lemon juice for about half an hour.
2. Prepare a paste of the kaffir lime leaf, coriander, green chillies, mint and toasted cumin. Add the yogurt in the kaffir lime mixture and mix well. Then add the chicken in the kaffir lime mixture and marinate it for about four hours.
3. Place the chicken in a skewer and cook it in the tandoor. Serve with cold pineapple chutney.
Ingredients (For the pineapple chutney)
200 gm pineapple
15 gm ginger
15 gm garlic
15 gm green chillies
5 gm salt
20 ml tomato ketchup
20 ml oil
5 gm curry leaves
1. Chop the pineapple into small dices. Then finely chop the ginger, green chillies and garlic. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic and sauté well.
2. Add the chopped ginger and green chillies and cook till they are soft. Now, add the tomato ketchup and cook till it becomes like a sauce.
3. Add the chopped pineapple and chopped curry leaves and cook till the pineapples are soft. Cool the chutney and serve.