Tasty, nutritious, light and versatile, mushrooms are a perfect food. Mushrooms are healthy as they contain negligible amounts of fat, sugar and salt, and are a valuable source of dietary fibre as well as folic acid. But to top it all they taste great and can be used easily in all kinds of cuisines.
Some easy to cook mushroom recipes include
This recipe is a combination of flavors and colors and is extremely healthy.
1 cup broccoli
1 cup bell peppers (cut into cubes)
1 cup lettuce torn into pieces
1 cup spring onions, blanched
1 cup mushrooms, quartered, blanched
1 cup baby corn, cut into cubes
For the dressing
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon mustard paste
2 tablespoon cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Method and preparation:
1. Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and keep aside.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the salad. Add the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately. This dish serves up to 6 adults.
Mushrooms stuffed with a delicious onion and cheese mixture and baked to perfection, make an ideal starter.
10 fresh large mushrooms
1 teaspoon butter
For the stuffing
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green chilli
½ cup chopped coriander
½ cup grated cheese
Salt to taste
Method and prepration:
1. Detach and discard the stems from the mushrooms. Wash the mushroom caps. Place them on a baking tray, hollow side up.
2. Combine all the ingredients and fill the cavities of the mushroom caps with the stuffing.
3. Grease an oven proof dish with butter and arrange the mushrooms on it.
4. Bake at 200 *C for 10 minutes and serve hot, with mustard or chilli sauce.
This recipe makes 20 pieces
Mushrooms on toast
Combining the moist subtle flavor of mushrooms with the tang of garlic and capsicum makes a healthy and tasty dish.
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped bell peppers
¼ cup chopped spinach
2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons cheese
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
2 tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
6 slices bread
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and fry till they are golden brown.
2. Add the garlic and fry again. Add the capsicum and fry for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and sauté till done. Add the cheese coriander and mix well. Serve hot on toasted bread slices.